For Membership Information, please contact club membership chairman, Shirley Cardello at firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage prospective members or those who would just like to see what we are “all about”, attend the club’s monthly meetings and the many yearly events that are offered throughout the year. Meeting dates are listed on the Events Calendar. Check the calendar for updates on times/dates. Most meetings are held at the Wheeler Library, Main Street in North Stonington, Connecticut.
Club Dues: $30 per person per year, $50 Family of two, and due October 31 of each year. For Pay Pal payment Option, Dues are $31.50 per year. (Dues paid by 10/31/13 are still $25 per person)
Members should submit their dues to the club treasurer.
Please make checks payable to PRLRC and mail to PRLRC Treasurer: Julie Quigley Smith, 81 Henry Case Way, Wakefield, RI 02879
Or members may submit dues with the
PAY PAL payment option.
Payment with Pay Pal charge is $31.50 per year.
Members & Prospective Members: Please read the club’s Constitution & ByLaws document at the bottom of this member’s page.
Nominations for Officers & Board: For members who are considering serving on the Board or as a club officer, please familiarize yourself again with the Constitution & ByLaws as well as the Club Policies documents, prior to agreeing to accept a nomination to the Board. These documents are located at the bottom of this Members page.
NOTE: Please send membership sponsor letters and Applications now to
Address: 60 Legge St. Bridgewater, MA 02324
Membership Application: Pawcatuck_River_LRC_Membership_Application__rev2015_2017
Membership Sponsorship Form Letter: PRLRC_Membership_Sponsorship_Letter_2017
Abby Barrett and kathy Cip Members helping Members. Field training help being provided here by Kathy Cipriani working with Susan Barrett’s “Abby”.
WORKING MEMBER’S Benefits:
The Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club offers it’s “working” members the opportunity to list their upcoming litters on the club web site. This site is accessed by hundreds of prospective puppy owners per week. Our members receive fantastic exposure and it is a great deal too! Proceeds from the litter listings offset many off the club’s events.
If you have pups available and would like to list them, please email.
A litter listing is $25.00 per litter for members who fall into the “Full” Membership category and who full fill the Full Member Requirements. (See requirements for members below). A listing for members who fall into the “Associate” Membership category, and who full fill the Associate Member Requirements, the listing fee is $50 per litter.
Litter Listings are for a 3 month period only. If you wish the listing to stay up longer then that period, another payment of $25 should be mailed to Julie Quigley Smith. Listing should include DOB, Colors available. Please include your name, email (and phone if you wish to receive calls, your town and state. A link to your web site may be able to be included. Listings will be posted as once your check is received by the treasurer.
Sire and Dam of the litter should have clearances for HIPS, ELBOWS, EIC, OPTIGEN and yearly eye clearances at the least.
Please mail checks to PRLRC Treasurer:
Julie Quigley Smith, 81 Henry Case Way, Wakefield, RI 02879
Membership Information Article II – Membership
Section 1. Eligibility.
Membership shall be open to all persons 18 years of age and older who are in good standing with The American Kennel Club and who subscribe to the purposes of this club. An Associate Junior Membership is also offered to persons 12 years and up to 17 years of age who exhibit an interest and subscribe to the purposes of the club. While membership is to be unrestricted as to residence, the club’s primary purpose is to be representative of the breeders and exhibitors in its’ immediate area. The club offers five types of membership; Full, Associate, Associate Junior, Family and Supporting. Associate, Associate Junior and Supporting membership will not affect quorum voting at meetings. Family memberships are two or more people living in the same household. They can apply as Full, Associate, Associate Junior or Supporting members within the Family membership category.
Section 2. Membership Requirements.
All members are encouraged to work at least two club events per year. All Full members must attend at least one meeting per year and be current on their dues. In addition, a Full member must either hold an office, chair a major committee or be on two committees at two different events. In order to maintain an Associate, Associate Junior, Family or Supporting membership one must be current on annual dues. Associate members who work at least one event per year will have the additional privilege of listing litters on the club website. Supporting members receive the club newsletter but have no voting or listing privileges. Associate Junior members are required to attend club functions with a supervising adult. Non-members may request an electronic subscription to Pawsitively News, the club newsletter, for the cost of $15 per year.
Section 3. Dues.
Membership dues shall be established on an annual basis as approved by the Board of Directors, payable on or before the 1st day of November of each year. Dues for all membership categories are the same per person as set on a yearly basis. New members joining after September 1st will be considered paid through the following year. No member may vote whose dues are not paid for the current year. During the month of September the Treasurer shall send to each member a statement of dues for the ensuing year.
Section 4. Election to Membership. Each applicant for membership shall apply on a form as approved by the Board of Directors, which shall provide that the applicant agrees to abide by the constitution, bylaws and rules of the American Kennel Club. The application shall state the applicant’s name, address and occupation and the type of member ship desired (Full, Associate, Junior Associate, Supporting or Family). The applicant shall provide letters of endorsement from two members in good standing. Applicants for Family membership shall only require two letters of endorsement per family. A ($30) thirty dollar non-refundable application fee per person must be submitted with form and that fee will be applied upon acceptance to applicants first year of membership dues. All applications are to be filed with the Membership Chair. Each application is to be read at the first meeting of the club following its receipt provided that the applicant is present at that meeting. At the next club meeting which the applicant attends (this applies to Full, Associate, Associate Junior, Family), the second reading of the application shall occur. Supporting member applications require no second reading and the prospective member does not have to attend a meeting for their applications to be acted upon. For Full, Associate, Associate Junior, Family, and Supporting membership, affirmative votes of 2/3 of the members present and voting by secret ballot at that meeting shall be required to elect the applicant. Applicants who have been rejected by the club may not reapply within six months of such rejection. (a) Membership type or category change: Members requesting a change to their membership type; Full, Associate, Associate Junior, Family or Supporting, must submit a petition in writing to the Membership Chair. The petition is to be read at the first meeting of the club, following its receipt. Those petitioning for a change to Full membership must meet the aforementioned criteria listed under Article II, Section 2. Changes will not be accepted after the September meeting until the next club year that starts in November. A first reading shall be required for an Associate Member to become a Full Member but voting is not required. Full members that are requesting to be recorded as Associate Members will have their petition read at the first meeting of the club following it’s receipt and at that time the change will take effect.
Section 5. Termination of Membership .
Memberships may be terminated:
(a) By resignation. Any member in good standing may resign from the club upon written notice to the Secretary; but no member may resign when in debt to the club. Dues obligations are considered a debt to the club and they are incurred on the first day of each fiscal year.
(b) By lapsing. A membership shall be considered as lapsed and automatically terminated if such member’s dues remain unpaid ninety days after the first day of the fiscal year; however, the Board may grant an additional ninety days grace to such delinquent members in meritorious cases. In no such case may a person be entitled to vote at any club meeting whose dues are unpaid as of the date of that meeting.
(c) By expulsion. A member may be terminated by expulsion as provided in Article VI of these bylaws.
PRLRC Club Policies & Procedures for Committees & Events: See under heading- Officers, Club Guidelines Policies
PRLRC Code of Ethics: All prospective members- please read.
Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club “Members Code of Ethics”
All members of the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club are required to agree to the following Code of Ethics and to be bound by its standard of behavior. Members should follow the Code Ethics in the care of their own dogs, in communications with individuals inquiring about Labrador Retrievers and in competition as well.
1. I will provide information on the characteristics and properties of the breed to interested individuals. I will be courteous to all who inquire about the breed.
2. I will maintain a safe, clean and sanitary facility for all my dogs which include stud dogs, bitches, adult dogs for sale and puppies for sale.
3. I will breed only for the purpose of improving the quality of the breed. I will not engage in cross-breeding. I will conscientiously plan each litter of puppies for sale, selecting a stud dog and bitch to be mated based on their pedigrees, conformation and temperament.
4. I will be knowledgeable about inherited health problems in my breed and will do appropriate health clearances on all breeding animals. Copies of these health clearances will be available to buyers of adult dogs for sale and puppies for sale.
5. I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dogs for sale or puppies for sale.
6. I will not breed any male or female until they are both physically and mentally mature, and I will not continue to breed any male or female beyond an appropriate age for the breed.
7. I will comply with all federal, state or provincial and local government laws and regulations concerning the keeping of dogs.
8. If puppies offered for sale to persons inquiring through the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club directory are to be registered, they will be registered only with the American Kennel Club, or other registry with equivalent standards and requirements. If such puppies are not to be registered, I will inform the buyer of that fact in writing. Pet quality puppies will be sold on an AKC Limited Registration and an explanation to the buyer as to why these animals should not be bred, should accompany the dog or puppy paperwork.
9. I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is at least eight (8) weeks old.
10. I will show discrimination in the sale of my puppies and be concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. I will make buyers aware of their responsibilities as dog owners. I will not sell or donate dogs to commercial dog wholesalers, dealers, brokers, retailers, pet shops or any other person or organization, for resale or “give-away” to the public. I will not supply dogs or puppies for charity raffles or auctions. I will not supply puppies or dogs to be trained or used for dog fighting.
11. I will keep accurate records and retain those records. These records will include: stud service contracts, pedigrees, all litters of puppies for sale, and all dogs/puppies sold.
12. I am not a broker, dealer, puppy mill or wholesaler. I will not offer litters for resale that I have acquired from others. I will not sell puppies to pet shops or other retailers.
13. At time of sale, I will provide the buyer:
a. a properly executed American Kennel Club Registration Certificate together with full
written disclosure of the name of the Registry and its standards and requirements (or if puppy is not to be registered, a written statement to that effect). Registration materials may be withheld if a written statement is provided to the new owner of when, and under what conditions, they will be provided (e.g. until the time of spay or neuter by the new owner as verified by a veterinarian, or if a written certification identifying the exact date of birth, and the registration numbers of the Sire and Dam is provided instead).
- a written, four-generation pedigree
- health record including a diet, inoculation and parasite control record, and health
- basic diet and care information.
- the time frame during which the puppy or dog may be examined by a licensed
veterinarian, at the buyer’s expense, and, upon written recommendation of the veterinarian for specific reasons, the puppy or dog may be returned to the seller for a full refund of all money paid.
14. I will not deliberately degrade any fancier, their dogs, or their kennel. All members of the club should practice sportsmanship.
15. I agree to be a resource for buyers of puppies or older dogs that I have sold for the life of the dog. All members in Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club directory are required to agree to the above Code of Ethics and to be bound by its standard of behavior.
16. As a club member, I assume the responsibility of insuring that my dogs have appropriate vaccinations, adequate exercise and a proper diet. I will provide safe and appropriate housing for my dogs that includes protection from the elements and access to water. Under no circumstances will I knowingly do anything that may compromise my dogs’ safety and well-being.
17. Ethics Enforcement: The Board of Directors will follow Article VI “Discipline” of the PRLRC Constitution and By Laws. The sections that will govern are Section 2: Charges; Section 3: Board Hearing; Section 4: Expulsion. To view PRLRC Constitution and By Laws go to www.prlrc.org to Members Log-In page. You may access the Constitution without signing in.
To review the Code of Ethics for the American Kennel Club, find web site by visitingwww.akc.org for American Kennel Club.
Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club assumes no responsibility for the
quality, health, or temperament of any dog, nor the warranty, guarantee, integrity, honesty or reliability, expressed or implied, by any person or of or by any person whose name appears in the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club directory. All such warranties, guarantees and promises are between buyer(s) and seller(s) as individuals. All buyers are strongly encouraged to carefully document, in writing, all representations, promises, statements, warranties and guarantees made by sellers of puppies for sale and older dogs for sale. Such documentation should be signed by the seller. Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club cannot and does not become involved in resolving conflicts and disagreements between buyers and sellers. Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club responsibility is limited to requesting assurance from listed breeders that they abide by terms of the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club Code of Ethics.
BREEDER AND MEMBER DISQUALIFICATION
Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club will disqualify a member from future participation in Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club where governmental, American Kennel Club or other authority has held the member not to be in compliance with laws, rules and regulations.