Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club “Members Code of Ethics”
All members of the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club are required to agree to the following Code of Ethics and to be bound by its standard of behavior. Members should follow the Code Ethics in the care of their own dogs, in communications with individuals inquiring about Labrador Retrievers and in competition as well.
1. I will provide information on the characteristics and properties of the breed to interested individuals. I will be courteous to all who inquire about the breed.
2. I will maintain a safe, clean and sanitary facility for all my dogs which include stud dogs, bitches, adult dogs for sale and puppies for sale.
3. I will breed only for the purpose of improving the quality of the breed. I will not engage in cross-breeding. I will conscientiously plan each litter of puppies for sale, selecting a stud dog and bitch to be mated based on their pedigrees, conformation and temperament.
4. I will be knowledgeable about inherited health problems in my breed and will do appropriate health clearances on all breeding animals. Copies of these health clearances will be available to buyers of adult dogs for sale and puppies for sale.
5. I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dogs for sale or puppies for sale.
6. I will not breed any male or female until they are both physically and mentally mature, and I will not continue to breed any male or female beyond an appropriate age for the breed.
7. I will comply with all federal, state or provincial and local government laws and regulations concerning the keeping of dogs.
8. If puppies offered for sale to persons inquiring through the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club directory are to be registered, they will be registered only with the American Kennel Club, or other registry with equivalent standards and requirements. If such puppies are not to be registered, I will inform the buyer of that fact in writing. Pet quality puppies will be sold on an AKC Limited Registration and an explanation to the buyer as to why these animals should not be bred, should accompany the dog or puppy paperwork.
9. I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is at least eight (8) weeks old.
10. I will show discrimination in the sale of my puppies and be concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. I will make buyers aware of their responsibilities as dog owners. I will not sell or donate dogs to commercial dog wholesalers, dealers, brokers, retailers, pet shops or any other person or organization, for resale or “give-away” to the public. I will not supply dogs or puppies for charity raffles or auctions. I will not supply puppies or dogs to be trained or used for dog fighting.
11. I will keep accurate records and retain those records. These records will include: stud service contracts, pedigrees, all litters of puppies for sale, and all dogs/puppies sold.
12. I am not a broker, dealer, puppy mill or wholesaler. I will not offer litters for resale that I have acquired from others. I will not sell puppies to pet shops or other retailers.
13. At time of sale, I will provide the buyer:
a. a properly executed American Kennel Club Registration Certificate together with full
written disclosure of the name of the Registry and its standards and requirements (or if puppy is not to be registered, a written statement to that effect). Registration materials may be withheld if a written statement is provided to the new owner of when, and under what conditions, they will be provided (e.g. until the time of spay or neuter by the new owner as verified by a veterinarian, or if a written certification identifying the exact date of birth, and the registration numbers of the Sire and Dam is provided instead).
- a written, four-generation pedigree
- health record including a diet, inoculation and parasite control record, and health
- basic diet and care information.
- the time frame during which the puppy or dog may be examined by a licensed
veterinarian, at the buyer’s expense, and, upon written recommendation of the veterinarian for specific reasons, the puppy or dog may be returned to the seller for a full refund of all money paid.
14. I will not deliberately degrade any fancier, their dogs, or their kennel. All members of the club should practice sportsmanship.
15. I agree to be a resource for buyers of puppies or older dogs that I have sold for the life of the dog. All members in Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club directory are required to agree to the above Code of Ethics and to be bound by its standard of behavior.
16. As a club member, I assume the responsibility of insuring that my dogs have appropriate vaccinations, adequate exercise and a proper diet. I will provide safe and appropriate housing for my dogs that includes protection from the elements and access to water. Under no circumstances will I knowingly do anything that may compromise my dogs’ safety and well-being.
17. Ethics Enforcement: The Board of Directors will follow Article VI “Discipline” of the PRLRC Constitution and By Laws. The sections that will govern are Section 2: Charges; Section 3: Board Hearing; Section 4: Expulsion. To view PRLRC Constitution and By Laws go to www.prlrc.org to Members Log-In page. You may access the Constitution without signing in.
To review the Code of Ethics for the American Kennel Club, find web site by visitingwww.akc.org for American Kennel Club.
Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club assumes no responsibility for the quality, health, or temperament of any dog, nor the warranty, guarantee, integrity, honesty or reliability, expressed or implied, by any person or of or by any person whose name appears in the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club directory. All such warranties, guarantees and promises are between buyer(s) and seller(s) as individuals. All buyers are strongly encouraged to carefully document, in writing, all representations, promises, statements, warranties and guarantees made by sellers of puppies for sale and older dogs for sale. Such documentation should be signed by the seller. Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club cannot and does not become involved in resolving conflicts and disagreements between buyers and sellers. Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club responsibility is limited to requesting assurance from listed breeders that they abide by terms of the Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club Code of Ethics.
BREEDER AND MEMBER DISQUALIFICATION
Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club will disqualify a member from future participation in Pawcatuck River Labrador Retriever Club where governmental, American Kennel Club or other authority has held the member not to be in compliance with laws, rules and regulations.